Tuesday, May 11, 2010

3 1/2 Inch Floppy Discs

"Her family speaks Gula, like Gula-Gula island" - Nicole Whats been going on lately? A lot really. Hell month is on at school, but this is it, after this I'm done, which is wonderful. I might be interning with Polo, the whole experience leading up to has been...interesting...I really don't feel like going into it so much as to say I feel like it's less about the job and more about someone proving a point. Anyways, life is going well, it's been a wonderful week and a little bit (heart), so I'm happy with that.
And now finally, the highlight of my day thus far. I work for the Icon Magazine at my school, so pretty often we get student submissions, normally a pretty mundane happening. But not today. A woman come into the office asking for room 713, apparently the other room to submit work according to some of the posters or something. When my co-worker, Nicole, suggested she just give it directly to us, she adamantly refused and went on looking for 713. She eventually returned with her work and began giving it to us. All seemed fine until we asked if she had a CD with her work on it. She said no. Nicole asked if she could e-mail it to us. She said no. Turns out, she had her work to submit on a, and I swear I'm not making this up, a 3 1/2 inch floppy disc.
A 3 1/2 inch floppy disc. I have not seen one of those since 9th grade, maybe. It just fascinated me that there are people out there that still use them. It actually made me smile a bit. I feel as though there should be a retro revival of the 3 1/2 is viable, I mean, look at vinyl albums. We defiantly have the technology to make high density 3 1/2 floppies, and USB drives just don't have that little clicking metal part. Anyway, that's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment